They say it's thrills by day and frights by night. But some inside Six FlagsMidnight Mansion got a bit more than they bargained for Saturday night after cobwebs outside the haunted house caught fire.
Saturday's incident at Six Flags is an important reminder of potential Halloween holiday dangers.
A photo captured by an eyewitness shows flames rushing up the side of the Agawam, Massachusetts attraction. Fire investigators say decorative cobwebs made of a flammable burlap material ignited - after brushing against light fixtures on the roof.
"The fire consisted primarily of simulated cobwebs that were hung outside the structure." said Deputy Chief Alan Sirois of the Agawam Fire Department . "The fire was extinguished quickly. Extension was checked for and there was some very minor involvement in the exterior of the structure and the roof." said Sirois.
The National Fire Protection Association offers several Halloween safety tips. They say to avoid loose-fitting costumes or vision impairing masks near flames, Also, check labels for flame-resistant costumes, and be sure to avoid hanging cornstalks or fake cobwebs near electric outlets.